Eating For Your Cycle: Drink A Golden Milk Latte To Reduce Menstrual Cramping
Recipe & Post by Madeline MacKinnon
Golden milk is a delicious herbal elixir made from turmeric and other warming spices. This elixir has traditionally been used in Ayurvedic medicine and has recently made a resurgence in the Western health and wellness community.
In my ‘Eating For Your Cycle’ nutrition program, I recommend that women make golden milk lattes during their period to help decrease painful cramping and help the body expel blood to reduce uterine stagnation.
To explain why Golden Milk reduces cramping we need to understand why cramping happens in the first place.
Researchers have discovered that cramping is caused because of a chemical produced by the body called prostaglandin. Shortly before menstruation begins, the endometrial cells in the lining of the uterus start to make large amounts of prostaglandins. When the cells of the uterine lining break down during menstruation the prostaglandins are released. Prostaglandins constrict the blood vessels in the uterus and make its’ muscle layer contract. This helps to expel blood from the body and is what causes cramping. Women who experience intense cramps produce higher levels of prostaglandins than women who have mild to no cramping at all.
Though high-level prostaglandin production may be genetic, the presence of the chemical also increases when there is other inflammation in your body. To mitigate this, consume anti-inflammatory foods and herbs throughout your cycle and especially during menstruation to significantly reduce menstrual cramps naturally.
Here is a list of ingredients in Golden Milk that help reduce inflammation:
- Turmeric is high in curcumin, which is highly anti-inflammatory and healing for the body. It becomes more bioavailable when activated with a pinch of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cinnamon is highly antispasmodic, or pain-reducing, and is also highly effective for cramping.
- Ginger is another anti-inflammatory herb. In fact, there was a study that found ginger root to be more effective at reducing menstrual cramping that taking pain medications.
For best results, start consuming one Golden Milk latte a day for two days before your period begins and drink every day throughout your period.
Golden Milk Latte Recipe
(makes one large or two small servings)
- 2 cups, Almond milk, unsweetened OR coconut milk OR grass fed organic cow’s milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 1 tsp Turmeric, freshly grated OR turmeric powder
- Pinch Black pepper, freshly ground
- Pinch Ginger, freshly grated OR ginger powder
- 1 tsp Ghee, grass fed OR coconut oil
- 1 tsp Raw honey OR coconut syrup
- Pinch Cinnamon powder for garnish
- 1 Tbsp Lucuma powder OR baobob powder
- 1 scoop Collagen Peptides
- Add the milk to a small pot and warm over low heat.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, turmeric and pepper. Stir frequently for about 15 minutes until the milk is warm, but not boiling. Remove from heat and take out the cinnamon stick to reuse in another batch.
- Strain the milk through a colander/sieve into a mason jar. Add the ginger, optional baobab or lucuma powder, ghee and honey. Stir and pour into mugs. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
- *You can purchase fresh turmeric at most health food stores, Asian or Indian supermarkets and Superstore. I like the flavour the best with fresh turmeric.
Learn more about how to eat for your menstrual cycle and balancing your hormones at Madeline’s upcoming ‘Eating For Your Cycle Four Part Series’ and ‘Elixirs For Women’s Hormone Balance’ class series.
Madeline MacKinnon is a certified nutrition consultant, women’s health coach and the founder of Natural Hormone Healing. She dedicates her time, energy and education to help women from around the world to balance their hormones naturally. Connect with Madeline on instagram @naturalhormonehealing and visit her website Natural Hormone Healing
Photos brought to you by Sarah Steffens of Savor & Fancy