Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita for Hot Flashes and Menopause Symptoms
Recipe & Post by Madeline MacKinnon
Cool off with this margarita recipe full of superfoods that help reduce menopause symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats, sleep issues, dry skin and brain fog.
Here’s why this cocktail is so good for you:
- Berries– the fiber in the strawberries and raspberries help detox ‘bad estrogen’ from the body. When estrogen levels are elevated, they can contribute to poor sleep, night sweats and hot flashes.
- Rhubarb- research backs that the stalks from this plant reduce hot flashes.
- Maca- this powdered root from Peru is endocrine-balancing, making it helpful for women experiencing menopause symptoms.
- Schizandra Berry Powder– helps gently detox the liver and also promotes glowing skin and mental clarity. Many of Madeline’s clients have found that taking schizandra powder daily helps reduce their menopause symptoms.
- Pearl Powder- used as a beauty herb in Chinese medicine and is taken internally to promote youthful looking skin. It has cooling and anti-inflammatory effects on the body, and is high in a well researched anti-aging antioxidant called Superoxide Dismutase (SOD).
- Beet Powder- provides your body with ‘methyl’ groups that help your liver detox and remove bad estrogen; helping m with hot flashes and menopause symptoms.
- Tocotrienols- a powder extracted from rice bran that contains Vitamin-E, which has been shown to help with menopause and hot flashes. Tocotrienols are delicious when added to smoothies and elixirs.
- Tequila- is optional but if you experience hot flashes it’s a much better choice than drinking wine, which can significantly increase hot flashes, sleep issues and night sweats!
Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita Recipe
(Makes 1-2 servings)
- ½ cup water, iced hibiscus tea or kombucha
- ½ cup frozen rhubarb, diced
- ¼ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup ice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 Tbsp raw organic honey or a squirt of vanilla stevia or to taste
- 1 tsp maca extract powder
- ½ tsp vanilla powder OR extract
- Pinch of high quality sea or himalayan salt
- 1-2 shots of your favourite tequila (optional)
Superfood Upgrades (optional but recommended)
- 3 Tbsp tocotrienols
- 1 tsp beet powder from New Earth Organics
- 1 tsp schizandra berry extract powder from The Light Cellar
- 1 tsp pearl powder from Jing Herbs
Blend in a high-speed blender. You can add more liquid to get the desired texture.
Madeline is now offering her popular series, Eating For Your Cycle, as an online course! This is exciting for anyone who has always wanted to take a class in the teaching kitchen, but lives far away or has a busy schedule that prevents them from taking a class in person. Click here to get the free starter guide.
Madeline MacKinnon is a certified nutrition consultant, women’s health coach and the founder of Natural Hormone Healing. She dedicates her time, energy and education to help women from around the world to balance their hormones naturally. Connect with Madeline on instagram @naturalhormonehealing and visit her website www.naturalhormonehealing.com
Photos brought to you by Sarah Steffens of Savor & Fancy.